We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
babylon was included in WIRED’s 2016 Top 100 Hottest Startups in Europe and CB Insights 2017 Global ‘AI 100’ list. Fortune Magazine included babylon in their 2017 list of ’50 Companies Leading the AI Revolution’, the only listed company using AI in healthcare delivery.
At babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare.
We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us. We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
Purpose of Role
We are looking for a knowledge engineer to join our knowledge base management team, where we build Babylon’s Knowledge Graph. You will be working on developing our market-leading products, in the collaborative and growing AI team based in our Liverpool Street London office. Your effort will contribute heavily to the services data science and NLP team are building within the AI team.We have a team of the best people you’d ever want to meet, working on some of the most futuristic projects.
- The future of our product is focused around utilising AI solutions to revolutionise how we diagnose, treat and prevent diseases. You will help us build and support great products across Babylon, as well as shaping our vision of an intelligent virtual assistant for the medical domain, in order to make health care affordable and accessible for everyone.
The focus will be on developing and maintaining our large medical domain knowledge graph such that AI teams have access to the intelligence and data they need. You will be working with the rest of the AI team, helping to ensure knowledge graph consistency, correctness, and completeness.
- You will be working with our data architects, ETL engineers, software engineers and information extraction specialists to evolve the knowledge graph. You will identifying data sources that can enhance their services solely or when mapped and integrated with the existing knowledge graph. You will also plan for how these data sources should be modelled and integrated to maximize benefit through efficient retrieval and adaptation of reasoning.
- You will be involved with setting up a reproducible, automatic process across different data sets, and making sure that our knowledge graph is up to date when an update is published for a data set that was loaded in the past.
- As a member of our artificial intelligence team there will be opportunities to learn about ontologies, data science, natural language processing and information extraction. Our company is a fast growing, dynamic environment where your tasks will constantly evolve, and you will have the opportunity to learn something new every day.
Key Skills Required
- You are a programmer by nature
- You are organized and pro-active, with strong attention to detail
- You are flexible and adaptable, with a “can do” approach and solid problem-solving skills
- You are focused on delivery, with a passion for quality and innovation
- You are an ongoing contributor and passionate for learning and adopting cutting edge technologies
- You are enthusiastic and full of positive and infectious energy
- You are a natural team player who enjoys working collaboratively with colleagues
- You are smart, funny, innovative and tenacious, who can adapt and work as part of a team.
- You are comfortable working in a collaborative R&D environment
- You don't mind changing direction because being agile is in your genes
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD or MSc in computer science/artificial intelligence or related subject
- Demonstrable coding skills in Java/Python, producing clean and high-quality code
- Hands-on experience in ontology alignment, ontology matching and disambiguation strategies
- Hands-on experience in knowledge representation, reasoning, ontologies with demonstrable knowledge of the fundamental semantic web stack (RDF, OWL, SWRL, SKOS, SPARQL)
- Hands-on experience in working with large ontologies, knowledge graphs and other large data sets and utilizing them to enhance industrial service
- Experience with ETL pipelines and databases (relational, NoSQL, triple-stores)
- Familiar with data standards, file formats, biomedical ontologies and vocabularies such as SNOMED-CT, UMLS, etc.
- Experience in using NLP for knowledge graph construction
- Experience in ontology design and evaluation techniques and methodologies
- Competitive salary package including share scheme
- Free Babylon Health for you and your family
- One of the nicest offices you’ll ever see, located next to Liverpool Street Station
- Free healthy breakfast, and snacks
- On site table tennis and video game competitions
- Regular social gatherings and an intimate, collaborative environment
- A real entrepreneurial spirit and drive to make a tangible difference in the world
- Free weekly yoga or football sessions
- Pension scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- BUPA health and life insurance