We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
Babylon was included in WIRED’s 2016 Top 100 Hottest Startups in Europe and CB Insights 2017 Global ‘AI 100’ list. Fortune Magazine included Babylon in their 2017 list of ’50 Companies Leading the AI Revolution’, the only listed company using AI in healthcare delivery.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.
We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
AI Backend Engineer - Healthcheck
We believe it is possible to put an accessible and affordable health service in the hands of every person on earth. The Healthcheck team enables people to live fuller and healthier lives by revealing insights that people didn’t know they didn’t know. Our engineers develop ground-breaking software products in the spaces of Artificial Intelligence, Health Epidemiology, and Chatbot technology. Sound interesting? Read on.
As a Backend Engineer, a typical day might include:
- Writing lots of code!
- Planning code design across our various microservices so our products scale
- Studying a teammate’s pull request to ensure awesome code quality
- Crawling and googling through StackOverflow to diagnose a tricky bug
- Getting products to work in a brand new foreign language, in a brand new territory
- Building relationships with your peers, learning from them and teaching things you know
- Pair programming through the tough problems. Two heads are better than one!
- Partnering with our wonderful design, frontend, medical, and epidemiological teams to flesh out new projects.
We would love to hear from you if:
- You’re passionate about learning - broadening your horizons and developing yourself is important to you.
- You’re cooperative and welcome diverse perspectives to challenge the way you think.
- You’ve got a sense of team spirit, and want to work with those who have your back.
- You don’t like having a babysitter or being micromanaged.
- You enjoy having the ownership and space to tackle a problem deeply.
- You’re aware of the limitations of your abilities, and take feedback from those who care about your growth and happiness.
To land this gig, you’ll have solid coding fundamentals and something to show for it. The Healthcheck team speaks mostly Python, though we’re interested in hearing from any capable engineer who can learn our codebase deftly. Our backend Microservices run on Kubernetes and Docker, and we scale rapidly with medical-approved testing frameworks and tooling.
You’ll be part of an awesome team who work together to create amazing products so we can deliver the promise of affordable health care. Come join us!
We fully embrace diversity and equal opportunities. We’re committed to building teams that represent all kinds of backgrounds, skills and perspectives. We believe inclusivity builds better products. If there’s anything that could create a more comfortable interview experience, please let us know.
Working at Babylon is outstanding. We care deeply about our culture - with free snacks, table footballs and more. Find out about our philosophy, work environment and benefits in our culture section.
This job description is non-exhaustive and may vary due to the needs of the business.