This post was originally released on my old personal blog, instanceof.coffee on the 12th of January 2020.
The best of 2019 that I discovered, loved and kept close to me. This blog post is inspired by fogus: The Best Things and Stuff of 2019. Everything is in no particular order.
Great blog posts read
- We Need Chrome No More
- Public hacker test on Swiss Post’s e-voting system
- List of stories set in a future now past
- I interviewed at six top companies in Silicon Valley in six days
- Most of What We Read on the Internet is Written by Insane People
- Let’s stop copying C (2016)
Great articles read
- How to not be alone (2013)
- Coders Programming Themselves Out of a Job (2018)
- A Sleeping Disorder That Turns Life into a Waking Dream
- SIM swap horror story: I've lost decades of data and Google won't help
- Living in Switzerland ruined me for America and its lousy work culture (2016)
- The wave of unicorn IPOs
- Your digital identity has three layers, and you can only protect one of them
Favorite podcasts listened to
2019 was the year I started listening to podcasts actively. I regret not having done that much earlier, when I first found out about them.
Well in my defense, I only subscribed to Spotify Premium this year (even thought it's not the only way to listen to these!)
- Startup - I loved the episodes about Gimlet, the company that created this podcast. It is a genuine great and emotional adventure about the journey of creating a startup and I enjoyed every second of it. I binged all episodes about Gimlet in less than a month.
- Reply All - I found out about this podcast from Waveform (the one below) and the stories told are seriously great.
- Waveform - In-depth discussions about the latest tech from MKBHD, the largest technology channel on YouTube. Having high expectations when this was announced, I was not disappointed when I actually listened to it.
Favorite musicians discovered
All artists here are in the Lo-Fi genre. It is my favorite music genre and I listen to it almost exclusively, both at home and on my almost daily public transport rides
- City Girl - I love that almost every song has a story behind it which completes the City Girl character.
Favorite shows discovered
- A Place Further Than The Universe
- Gabriel Dropout
- Hibike Euphonium
- I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
- Kaguya-sama: Love is War
- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Favorite games discovered
- Muse Dash (Android)
- Cytus II (Android)
- Overwatch (PC)
- Business Tour (PC)
- Anxiety: An Interactive Story (Web) - A interactive game where YOU play as the anxiety. Small demo that I really enjoyed. Looking forward to the actual game!
For the first time in:
- United Kingdom
Great tools discovered
Everything from apps, platforms, extensions etc. that I discovered in 2019 and use (almost) daily.
- Spotify Premium - Unlimited skipping, no-ads and offline listening. Don't know how I survived 2018 with just Spotify free. Streaming is just too convient.
- SponsorBlock - Automatically skips sponsor spots in YouTube videos, don't know how I was able to watch YouTube without this.
- Tildes - News aggregator like HN but with higher quality comments and posts. If you want an invite, just send me a tweet via Twitter, I got a few invite codes.
- Neon - Banking startup in Switzerland. Great product and easy to use app, will probably switch to it fully in the future once it IPO'd (or got acquired).
- GSMArena - News and information about everything smartphone related - as I'm a tech enthusiast I check it out on the daily.
Programming languages I hacked in
Tech products I bought
In order of bought starting from the beginning of 2019 until the end.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch - Having a smart watch is just too convient and I see why these days so many people in my age have one.
- Sony WH-1000XM3 - Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) headphones really made a huge difference. Suddenly I was actually looking forward to the almost daily public transport rides.
- Logitech G Pro - My old mouse stopped working after four years of use so this'll hopefully be a worthy successor.
- Huawei Matebook 13 - Got it at a discount and honestly a great, fast and portable laptop.
- Nintendo Switch - Wanted one since the beginning of 2019 and was able to get it off on Black Friday. Really cool console which I love for its portability. Finally I can really game on the go.
Plans for 2020
- Write a blog post at least once two months.
- Start building a portofolio on GitHub.
- Contribute more to open-source projects.
- Shrink my Plan to Watch list.
- Pass my upcoming Cambridge CAE exam in March.
- Pass the four month personal project we have in school in August.
- Stop some coping mechanisms.
So let's start this year with high spirit. See you maybe for the "Great things in 2020" blog post.